A very quiet day at the launchpoint and only 25 flights today. That did though allow concentrated instructional flying for those who had booked. The new booking system is giving much more satisfaction to both instructors and trainees.
Interesting day today. The sea air came in from the south meaning that we had to struggle away to the good conditions to the north. Problem was the snow showers developing over the mountains. A couple of images below of the highlands north of Crieff from just below the 7000ft cloudbase.
Sunday started with a thin layer of stratocumulus which as expected gradually broke up and it became soarable. All gliders flew, most using the west wind onto the Bishop and then transferring to thermals which went to about 5500ft. Of those I have spoken to, M3 found some wave to around 8000ft, but I think most of us flew around the area to the north and west in thermals of varying strength. Quite a lot of snow showers in the mountains though.
Expecting, dare I say it, a good thermal day tomorrow.
Some good soaring today and I expect Chris will put in a report on the flying later. Please note though that RASP is not working at the moment and if you look at it and it tells you the soaring is very bad, you could miss a good day
RASP stratus though currently is fine.
Yes, it was quite windy today with gusts showing 48kts. But it allowed more fettling of the club gliders and now LPM, JKW, FUY and KAN (front only at the moment, rear next repeater week) have S80s installed.
This run of weather means we have only flown on four Saturdays this year, but you have my word that the weather is changing now…….
No flying (again) today, so I sat in on Gordon McDonald’s Inspector Seminar that the BGA held at the club today. This was for me an interesting and informative session and something I think most glider owners would have learnt a lot from.
Another Saturday, another rainy day, but the excellent winter lecture season continues with John Garland today giving the first of a series of talks to around 25 members and visitors on the subject of the RT licence exam. An RT licence is becoming more of a “must have” for glider pilots nowadays and I would encourage all of you to go for the licence. It really isn’t as daunting as you might think.
We have had a skip delivered and the plan is to use it to clear the junk from alongside the hangar when it stops raining.
Wednesday is the day planned for flying next week.
I see it’s still snowing at the club and the temperature is around zero, so I think it’s very unlikely we can fly tomorrow due to the snow on the field and the difficulty of getting up the hill. I will take another look later today at the webcams.
Also I should add that the Bronze lecture is cancelled at Mendip tonight and the BGA Inspector seminar at the club tomorrow has been postponed, probably to March.